Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Street food in Taiwan, and MUCH more!

On the 20th of June this year, I went back to Taiwan to visit family. Here are the pictures!

The Welcome to Taiwan sign in the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport

Right after my uncle picked me up from the airport, we went to this hole in the wall restaurant (I feel like the majority of restaurants in Taiwan are like this. Little shops in the wall) that my mom frequented next to my grandparent's place in Taipei, Taiwan.

The Cold Noodle Shop

"Cold Noodles" aka "Liang Mian" This was seasoned with enough peanut sauce and hot sauce to make it just right. I do wish they gave me more cucumbers though... 凉麵


My mom said she usually gets their miso soup with cold noodles. It was a really nice pairing.
Taiwanese Miso Soup (you can get Chinese meatballs in them called Gong Wan)
I LOVE GONG WANS! 貢丸

For breakfast the next day, my sister and I walked to the corner breakfast shop to get some Egg Pancakes (Dan Bing) with bacon and pork sung rolled up in it. It was prepared right in front of our eyes. Delicious! Espeically with that sweet soy paste sauce we drizzled over it.
Dan Bing (Egg Pancake) 蛋餅

After a quick breakfast, we walked into one of the many OK-Marts.
This was their candy section. I am in love. I adore how Taiwanese stores always have fruity flavors such as cantaloupe, muscat, strawberry, peach, kiwi, etc.

I had to take a picture of this! If you grew up in a Taiwanese household, you were bound to have had this whenever your throat hurt! It works wonders! It's called "Pi Pa Gao" or Honey Loquat Paste.  I personally LOVED this growing up! I would eat it everyday even when I wasn't sick because it was so delicious! My mom would scold me saying "Only one spoonful a day!"
枇杷膏

We took the metro and arrived at Xi Men Ding I believe. I found street food!! There are calamari balls, quail eggs, sausages, and much more!

Quail eggs on a stick with hot sauce. So simple yet so delicious.

We saw a Yoshinoya and couldn't help but take a picture.

Since the weather seemed to be consistently 85 degrees F and 90% humidity, we decided to refresh ourselves with a nice cold drink at this Tea Station.

We ordered the Yogurt Green Tea. 

Coldstones in Taiwan seemed to be the most popular store there! Look at the line! It did smell heavenly when we walked past though. There is my mom (paranoid of catching diseases from passerbys) and sister.

Til next time! May your days be delighted with many delectable dishes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment